Chiesa di S. Maria

Gothic, Romanesque and Renaissance features come together in the Church of Santa Maria di Pellizzano.

Chiesa di S. Maria

Lombard builders carried out an intervention on the structure of the Church of Santa Maria di Pellizzano during the first half of the 16th century, endowing the building with its current architectural look - a combination of Gothic and Renaissance features. Its Romanesque-Gothic portal with a splayed frame and multiple concentric rings is particularly striking. The church features steeply pitched roof and a façade boasting four late Gothic buttresses, as well as a fifth buttress annexed on the piazza side. Two pointed windows open up towards the cemetery. This sanctuary is dedicated to the Virgin and is a popular place of periodic pilgrimage from the River Noce valleys. The Nativity of the Virgin Mary is commemorated every year at the beginning of September, when the town is decorated for the celebration and a procession is held through the streets with the statue of the Madonna delle Grazie.
Two members of the Baschenis family - Giovanni and Battista - worked in the Church of Santa Maria at the end of 15th century and more precisely, in 1470. The oldest frescoes decorating its walls were actually painted by them. Special mention also goes to the work of Simone Baschenis, who painted the entire surface of the outer vestibule in 1533. Up until the works carried out after the fire of 1841, the right wall of the church used to feature a large fresco depicting the legendary passage of Charlemagne. The same wall also features two long arched and barred windows with a single opening and polychrome glass. The five wooden altars - most of which are elegantly carved and gilded - are of especially interesting, as are their prized altarpieces. A Baroque chapel with stuccos and three altars opens up on the left wall and is accessible from a wooden balustrade - a mature work by Simone Lenner (1626).




You may also like ...

49 results

Sanctuary of San Romedio

The Sanctuary of San Romedio, an enchanted place full of spirituality.

Chiesa di S. Maria Assunta

Chiesa di S. Maria Assunta - Villa Lagarina

Santa Maria Assunta was the symbol of Counts Lodron's power.

Chiesa di S. Vigilio

St. Vigil Church and the Franciscan Fathers convent

The biggest Franciscan church of the region Trentino

Rovereto, the city of art and peace

Chiesa di S. Marco - Rovereto

Mozart held his first public Italian concert in the Church of San...

Chiesa di S. Vittore

The Church of S. Vittore di Tonadico is a treasure box of pictorial...

Santuario della Madonna di Pinè

The Sanctuary of Madonna di Pinè is the heart of Marian...

Chiesa di S. Lorenzo | © Foto Archivio Apt Terme di Comano

Chiesa di S. Lorenzo

S. Lorenzo in Vigo Lomaso is the most important Romanesque church in...

Church of St. Maria Assunta – Cavalese

One of the symbols of Val di Fiemme

Sanctuary of San Romedio

The Sanctuary of San Romedio, an enchanted place full of spirituality.

Read more ...
Chiesa di S. Maria Assunta

Chiesa di S. Maria Assunta - Villa Lagarina

Santa Maria Assunta was the symbol of Counts Lodron's power.

Read more ...
Chiesa di S. Vigilio

St. Vigil Church and the Franciscan Fathers convent

The biggest Franciscan church of the region Trentino

Read more ...
Rovereto, the city of art and peace

Chiesa di S. Marco - Rovereto

Mozart held his first public Italian concert in the Church of San Marco in Rovereto.

Read more ...

Chiesa di S. Vittore

The Church of S. Vittore di Tonadico is a treasure box of pictorial art.

Read more ...

Santuario della Madonna di Pinè

The Sanctuary of Madonna di Pinè is the heart of Marian devotion in Trentino.

Read more ...
Chiesa di S. Lorenzo | © Foto Archivio Apt Terme di Comano

Chiesa di S. Lorenzo

S. Lorenzo in Vigo Lomaso is the most important Romanesque church in Trentino

Read more ...

Church of St. Maria Assunta – Cavalese

One of the symbols of Val di Fiemme

Read more ...

Churches, heritages and sanctuaries